Board Meeting 159 - January 2010

Minutes of the hundred and fifty ninth meeting of the Football Licensing Authority held on 12 January 2010 in Harcourt House

Present

Mr P Darling – Chairman
Mr B Batson
Dr P Lane
Ms J Summerell
Mr R Wilkie
Mr D Wilson
Mr J Woodrow
Mr J R K de Quidt     - Chief Executive

In attendance

Mr K D Sears
Mrs N A Rutherford

Apologies were received from Mr P Rowley

The Chairman asked that the minutes record the Board’s thanks to Dr Dickie for his significant contribution to the work of the FLA over his term of office and offered him his best wishes for the future.

The Chairman congratulated Ms Summerell on her appointment to the diversity ambassadors’ network.

1

Minutes of the previous meeting

1.1

The minutes were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

 
 

2

Matters arising

2.1

No matters were raised.

3

Chief Executive’s reports (FLA(09)25) (FLA(10)04)

3.1

Negotiations continued with LOCOG to secure a secondment agreement that was wholly acceptable to the FLA. Members would be kept informed as matters developed.

3.2

The Hampton Review team had yet to provide their formal feedback.  A meeting was being arranged.

3.3

Discussions were ongoing with the EPC with a view to ensuring that both the courses in which the FLA had direct input into and the development of the safety management course continued irrespective of which management company took over.

 

 

4

Draft FLA risk register 2010 (FLA(09)26)

4.1

The Board was invited to comment on the draft document. The content was approved.  However the Board suggested that the style of presentation should be reviewed. The means of monitoring the transition and movement of the risk should be an easily identifiable feature.  Dr Lane and Mr Wilkie offered to provide suitable examples. The updated register would be circulated to Members prior to it being submitted to DCMS.

It was suggested that the register should identify the risks that had been removed.

5

Consultation Paper on Safety Certification (FLA(10)1)

5.1

The Board approved the draft and agreed that it should be sent to DCMS for information prior to its circulation as a formal consultation paper. The document should only include a draft model certificate if the forthcoming meeting with the DSA suggested there was little prospect of an agreement over one or more models.

6

Licensing issues

 

Hereford United: The Board had previously allowed the club a further 6 months to bring the standing accommodation on the Merton Terrace and Len Watson Terrace to the required standard.  In discussion of the information before them, the Board agreed in principle that, subject to confirmation by the FLA inspector that the remedial work had been completed satisfactorily, the licence should be amended to allow for the continued use of both terraces.

Bristol Rovers: The Board had issued a licence for the whole ground in July with the stipulation that the local inspector to seek clarification from the local authority as to whether the certified capacities included a capacity for the level standing areas.  The local authority had been unable to provide any capacity calculations but was in the process of recalculating them.  The local inspector would continue to press the local authority for early sight of the new calculations.

Cheltenham Town: Following the issue of the licence in July the FLA had written to the club advising them that we would be discussing the continued use of the level standing areas at Whaddon Road. From the information before the Board it was agreed that the secretariat should adopt a pragmatic approach in resolving the issue.

The Board voiced concerns that Bristol City Council was not the only local authority that had been unable to produce capacity calculations when requested to do so by the FLA. It wished to be told the extent of the problem when the findings of the audit of local authorities become clearer.

7

Analysis of spectators injury statistics for the 2008/09 season (FLA(10)3)

7.1

The Board approved the redrafted analysis and agreed that it should be published on the FLA website.

The consensus was that the FLA should continue to provide the statistics.  It was suggested that as the due to the ambiguous returns it may be more sensible to focus on trends.

Action

Mrs Rutherford to arrange publication on website.

 
 

8

Any other business

8.1

Ms Summerell agreed to produce a paper for discussion on the role of Members at match visits.

8.2

The Chairman and Chief Executive had started a series of meetings with the football authorities with a view to encouraging them to take a more active role in spectator safety.

8.3

The Chairman outlined the current situation on the relocation of the FLA to new premises.

8.4

Dr Lane again requested that a new proforma be adopted for recording conflicts of interest. The Chairman would take this forward.

Action

The Chairman to provide examples of appropriate forms.

8.5

The  Board noted that the Chief Executive would to retire on 31st  December 2010 and had a preliminary discussion on this matter.

9

Date of the next meeting

9.1

The likelihood of the February meeting taking place was minimal.  Members would be notified if the meeting was going to take place.  Subject to that, the next scheduled meeting would be Tuesday 9 March 2010 at 10.30am in Harcourt House.

FLA Secretariat - January 2010