Board Meeting 17 - January 2015

Minutes of the seventeenth meeting of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority held on 13 January 2015 in Fleetbank House.

Present
Mr P Darling (Chairman)
Dr P Lane
Mr P Rowley - via telephone link
Mr D Wilson
Ms R Shaw  (Chief Executive)

In attendance
Mrs S Storey – for item 5 (via telephone link)
Mrs N Rutherford

 

Apologies were received from Mr B Batson and Mr R Wilkie

 

1

Minutes of the sixteenth meeting

1.1

The minutes were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

 

2

Matters arising

2.1

It was reported that up to £100,000 of extra capital expenditure has been awarded to the SGSA by DCMS. A similar amount had been awarded to several other small DCMS ALBs. This money was part of the Department’s capital budget surplus for the 2014/15 financial year.

 

The Board encouraged the Chief Executive to bring forward any possible capital expenditure from future years to make full use of any extra available funding. Mr Rowley also suggested the asset depreciation policy should perhaps be reviewed and accelerated. This would be discussed at the next Audit and Risk Committee.

 

2.2

The new commercial agents for Fleetbank House had queried the level of rent paid by the SGSA. Mr Longhorn was in discussion with the agents and would keep the Board informed of progress.

 

3

Chief Executive’s Reports   (SGSA(14)20 & (15)01)

 

3.1

The Board noted the content of the two reports.

 

The Chairman asked that a letter be drafted for him to send to Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks, congratulating them on their recent honours.

 

Action

Ms Hale to draft letter.

 

4

Dashboard   (SGSA(15)02)

4.1

The Board, having read the paper describing an example ‘dashboard’ concluded that it gave a worthwhile snapshot on performance and emerging trends and provided an easy monitoring tool as well as a good performance indicator for the organisation. The Board noted the limits of percentage data when dealing with such small figures, and recommended the removal of the data on persistent standing from this overview (providing it was kept elsewhere.) It was agreed that the Board would be included in the weekly circulation of the dashboard.

 

Action

Mr Podd to include Board members in circulation list.

 

5

International priorities  (SGSA(15)03)

5.1

The paper circulated updated the Board on recent international activity and priorities for 2015. These were noted.  In discussion, the following points were made:

 

  • The Board welcomed the developments within the international domain and agreed the proposed priorities represented the best opportunities for the SGSA.

 

  • The paper should be updated to include the success criteria for international work, and the risks and benefits of following the proposed direction.

 

  • The SGSA should ensure that our activities are not seen to be in competition with commercial organisations and we should continue to promote British expertise abroad.

 

  • The nature and remit of the international project board should be revisited and agreed.

 

6

Any Other Business

6.1

No items were raised.

 

7

Date of the next meeting

7.1

The scheduled date of the next meeting was 10 February and would include the topic of succession planning. It was possible this discussion may take place off site and the Chairman’s office would be in touch with arrangements.

 

SGSA Secretariat

January 2015