Board Meeting 21 - August 2015

Minutes of the twenty-first meeting of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority held on 25 August 2015 in Fleetbank House.

Present
Mr A Coppin (Chairman)
Mr B Batson
Dr P Lane (by telephone link)
Mr P Rowley
Ms Eyre-White (Chief Executive)

In attendance
Mrs N Rutherford

Apologies were received from Mr D Wilson

 

Actions

Item 3

The Chairman to meet DCMS and raise issue of immediate funding of the Green Guide from reserves without affecting GIA and feedback to board members.

 

Ms Eyre-White to commission an Inspector to visit rail seating at Celtic, once introduced, and report back.

Item 4

Ms Eyre-White to update the draft to respond to the Board’s feedback and discuss with the Inspectorate and other SGSA staff, before returning to the board with a strategy for approval in November.

 

Ms Eyre-White to put together a one-page ‘crib sheet’ on spending review proposals, for use when discussing with DCMS officials and Ministers.

 

Ms Eyre-White to distil strategy to visual one page summary once finalised.

 

Ms Eyre-White to discuss the possibility of developing a new logo with the Head of Communications and report back to the Board.

 

Item 5

Mr Riding to produce an internal review of our compliance with the Public Sector Equality Duty in the Equality Act.

 

Item 6

Members to promote the roles, once advertised, to suitable individuals, being clear that a competitive process would be followed.

Members to advise of any networks which could be used to advertise roles.

 

Item 7

Members to suggest locations for future meetings

 

 

The Chairman formally welcomed Ms Eyre-White to the meeting.

 

The Board congratulated former Chairman, Paul Darling, on receiving the OBE in the Birthday Honours list.

 

1

Minutes of the nineteenth meeting

1.1

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

2

Matters arising

2.1

 

No matters were raised.

 

3

Chief Executive’s reports – SGSA (15)16 & 17 inc. (15)18

3.1

 

The Board noted the content of the reports and the finance paper.

3.2

 

The Chief Executive updated the Board with the issues surrounding the development of the Casement Park stadia in Northern Ireland. The SGSA had been asked to respond to a number of questions in relation to this issue raised by two separate inquiries. The Board would be updated with developments.

 

3.3

DCMS had published their consultation on a new Sports Strategy. The document focused on how to increase participation in sport. The SGSA’s response would highlight the improvements in safety and how this would encourage participation. The Board agreed they did not need to approve the response before it was sent.

3.4

The Chairman suggested that DCMS be approached to approve using £50k of the SGSA reserves to enable work to start on the Green Guide project in this financial year. The Board agreed with this approach.

 

4

Spending review proposals and SGSA strategy (SGSA(15)19)

 

4.1

The Board approved the recent spending review submission to DCMS set out in the paper (SGSA (15)19).  

 

4.2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Board considered and approved the following actions  in relation to the finalising the strategy for the organisation:

 

  • Publishing a new high-level strategy document, covering the period November 2015 to March 2021.

 

  • Recommended that ‘innovate’ should not be a separate strategic goal but was referenced elsewhere.

 

  • Agreed that the proposed working draft succeeded in adapting the existing strategic plan to fit the new context and the changes ahead if our spending review proposals were agreed.

 

  • Ms Eyre-White to distil strategy to visual one page summary once finalised.

 

  • Recommended that consideration be given to update the SGSA logo.

 

The Chief Executive noted the discussions and outcomes but would include the views of the Inspectorate and other SGSA staff before finalising the strategy.

Action

Ms Eyre-White to update the draft to respond to the Board’s feedback and discuss with the Inspectorate and other SGSA staff, before returning to the board with a strategy for approval in November.

 

Ms Eyre-White to put together a one-page ‘crib sheet’ on spending review proposals, for use when discussing with DCMS officials and Ministers.

 

Ms Eyre-White to distil strategy to visual one page summary once finalised.

 

Ms Eyre-White to discuss the possibility of developing a new logo with the Head of Communications.

 

5

Position on accessibility (SGSA (15)20)

 

5.1

The Board considered the options outlined in the paper.  It was agreed that option (b) was the most appropriate way forward for the organisation. This was:

Continue on the current path of concentrating activities on safety but providing ad hoc advice and guidance where it is requested to access issues. We continue to be proactive to raise awareness, develop guidance and collaborate with disabled supporter groups to help address shortfalls in provision.

 

It was also agreed that the SGSA’s response to DCMS’ Sports Strategy Consultation should outline that the SGSA would welcome a more formal accessibility role, if provided with the necessary resources.

 

It was noted that the SGSA had a responsibility under the Equalities Act as a service provider, to ensure that its guidance and service activities provided consideration of all accessibility issues.  The Annual Report only reported the staffing provisions provided. Mr Riding would undertake an internal review and provide an update of all the considerations provided for accessibility.

 

Action

Mr Riding to produce an internal review of our compliance with the Public Sector Equality Duty in the Equality Act.

 

6

Board Succession (SGSA(15)21

 

6.1

The Board noted the content of the paper and the role specification for new Board members.

Action

 

Members to promote the roles, once advertised, to suitable individuals, being clear that a competitive process would be followed.

Members to advise of any networks which could be used to advertise roles.

 

7

Any other business

7.1

The Chairman suggested that future meeting could be held at different locations in order to raise awareness of the SGSA’s role.

7.2

The Chairman was hoping to arrange meetings with individual Club Chairman and the Football Association, potentially on days other than match days.

Action

Members to suggest locations for future meetings

8

Date of the next meeting

8.1

The next scheduled meeting would be held on Tuesday 13 October at 11am at Fleetbank House.

 

SGSA Secretariat

August 2015