Board Meeting 23 February 2016

Minutes of the twenty-third meeting of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority held on 23 February 2016 in Fleetbank House.

Present

Mr A Coppin - Chairman

Ms J Cook

Mr P Kolvin

Dr P Lane

Ms S  Johnson    

Mr D MacKinnon

Mr P Rowley

Mr D Wilson

Ms K Eyre-White  Chief Executive

 

In attendance

Mrs N Rutherford

 

 

Actions

Item 4.2

Executive to provide further information about board member role.

 

Executive to seek assurance from DCMS about sponsor propriety and then consider potential sponsors to approach about attending this event.

 

Mrs Rutherford to circulate list of conference attendees, identifying which organisations individuals belong to.

 

Item 5.1

The Chair would appoint the role of Lead Non-Executive from within the existing Board. Non-executives who are interested in the role should inform the Chair

Code of best practice to be reviewed and integrated into the new Terms of Reference for Board Members.

Item 6

Executive to present paper to the April board on the SGSA’s accessibility role and the Public Sector Equality Duty, including provisions of that duty which go wider than accessibility.

 

Executive to present a paper to a future Board meeting discussing the SGSA’s remit with regards security advice.

 

Item

8.2

Inspectors and Chief Executive – action to manage the lack of capacity calculation documentation:

 

  • initially by a letter from the relevant inspector to the chair of the Safety Advisory Group to reiterate formally the importance of holding this information.

 

  • if that does not have the effect of prompting local authorities into action, the Chief Executive will write to  the Chief Executive of the local authority.

 

Item 9.1

Executive to bolster health elements of Health and Safety policy

Item 10.1

Board members to let the Chair know if they were interested in sitting on the Audit and Risk Committee.

 

 

 

1

Chair’s welcome

1.1

The Chair welcomed everyone and four new members to the meeting. The Chair’s grounds rules were discussed and adopted.

 

2

Conflicts of interest

2.1

Mrs Johnson stated that she was a non-executive director with the Planning Commission. Dr P Lane stated that she was an employee of the Planning Commission Inspectorate and therefore had contact with Mrs Johnson in that capacity.

 

Mr Wilson declared a potential conflict of interest in that he was working the Premier League on accessibility standards.

 

3

Minutes of the twenty-second meeting

3.1

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed and signed by the Chair.

 

3.2

Matters arising

3.2.1

The Chief Executive updated the Board with the issues surrounding the development of the Casement Park stadia in Northern Ireland and the requests for assistance from Sport Northern Ireland and the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

 

4

Chief Executive’s note

4.1

The Board noted the content of the note.

 

4.2

The second SGSA conference "Spectator Safety in a Changing World" would be held on Monday 9 May at Arsenal FC’s Emirates Stadium.

 

The Board asked for some suggestions about their role on the day e.g. stakeholder networking/facilitating.

 

It was agreed that the Executive would circulate details of current attendees, in order that the Board could advise if they were aware of key individuals who should be approach to attend.

 

Mrs Johnson suggested that future potential sponsors could be invited to this Conference in order to observe the nature of the event.

 

 

Action

Executive to provide further information about board member role.

 

Executive to seek assurance from DCMS about sponsor propriety and then consider potential sponsors to approach about attending this event.

 

Mrs Rutherford to circulate list of conference attendees, identifying which organisations individuals belong to.

 

5

DCMS Board Appraisal Guidance

5.1

The paper before the Board was to inform them about the recent guidance issued by DCMS on Board Appraisal. Although the guidance was not mandatory it was recommended that it should be adopted.

In discussion the following points were agreed:

  • The DCMS Board Appraisal guidance should be implemented in full.
  • The Chair would appoint the role of Lead Non-Executive from within the existing Board. Non-executives who are interested in the role should inform the Chair.
  • The Board appraisal processes would be undertaken annually.  All would be undertaken by the end of the 2016/17 financial year.
  • The Code of Best Practice for Board Members would be reviewed and integrated in to a new Terms of Reference for the Board, also covering the board appraisal processes and the Chair’s ground rules.

 

Action

The Chair would appoint the role of Lead Non-Executive from within the existing Board. Non-executives who are interested in the role should inform the Chair

Code of best practice to be reviewed and integrated into the new Terms of Reference for Board Members.

6

Proposed Budget 2016/17 and 2015/16 Finance Update

6.1

Following clarification of a number of points including the use of reserves, the Board approved the proposed budget for the coming year.

 

6.1.1

There was a discussion about the role of the SGSA in providing advice on accessibility for disabled people.

 

6.2

There was discussion about the role of the SGSA in providing security advice, as compared to its safety remit.

 

Action

Executive to present paper to the April board on the SGSA’s accessibility role and the Public Sector Equality Duty, including provisions of that duty which go wider than accessibility.

 

Executive to present a paper to a future Board meeting discussing the SGSA’s remit with regards security advice.

 

7

Progress Update on Spending Review Commitments

7.1

The Chief Executive reported to the Board the progress with implementing the SGSA’s spending review commitments.

 

7.2

The Chair congratulated the Chief Executive and her team on the positive Spending Review outcomes.

 

8

Conclusion of the Hillsborough Inquests

8.1

The Board noted the content of the paper which updated the Board on the SGSA’s preparations for the conclusion of the Hillsborough Inquests.

 

8.2

As part of the preparations, Inspectors were undertaking housekeeping activities to check:

 

  • the most recent version of all safety certificates were on file.

 

  • which local authorities had capacity calculations documenting how the capacity figure in the safety certificate had been calculated.

 

The Chief Executive updated the Board on the number of local authorities which do not hold documented capacity calculations.

 

The Board agreed the following action with regards local authorities who do not hold documented capacity calculations:

 

  • initially by a letter from the relevant inspector to the chair of the Safety Advisory Group to reiterate formally the importance of holding this information.

 

  • if that does not have the effect of prompting local authorities into action, the Chief Executive will write to  the Chief Executive of the local authority.

 

 

8.3

The Board discussed the SGSA’s lines on the all-seater policy. The SGSA should position itself as central to this debate, whilst being clear that any decision to change the policy would be for DCMS.

 

Action

Inspectors and Chief Executive – action in relation to local authorities which do not hold documented capacity calculations:

 

  • initially by a letter from the relevant inspector to the chair of the Safety Advisory Group to reiterate formally the importance of holding this information.

 

  • if that does not have the effect of prompting local authorities into action, the Chief Executive will write to  the Chief Executive of the local authority.

 

 

9

SGSA Health and Safety Policy

9.1

The Board approved the Health and Safety Policy and endorsed the management systems for achieving the policy.

 

Mrs Johnson commented that the ‘health’ element of the policy could be bolstered, including for example reference to HSE stress assessments and mental wellbeing provisions.

 

 

Action

Executive to bolster health elements of Health and Safety policy.

 

10

Audit and Risk Committee Membership

10.1

The Chair asked for volunteers to sit on the Audit and Risk Committee. He would appoint after consulting with the Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee.

 

10.2

Mr Rowley summarised the discussions from the Audit and Risk Committee which had met prior to the Board meeting:

 

  • once the Senior Management Team was established, it would review the risk register on a regular basis and the Audit and Risk Committee would consider it at each of its meetings, with the full Board reviewing it at least annually. 

 

  • our internal auditors had given the Committee an overview of BDO’s most recent reports on key financial controls and safety certification.

 

  • the Committee considered the contents of the NAO’s Audit Planning Report and agreed the Audit Strategy.

 

  • the Committee had discussed the options for the future provision of internal audit services.

 

 

Action

Board members to let the Chair know if they were interested in sitting on the Audit and Risk Committee.

 

11

Any other Business

11.1

The Chairman would host a dinner for Board members after a June Board meeting which would be held on Tuesday 14 June.

 

12

Date of the next meeting

 

12.1

The next meeting would be held on Tuesday 12 April 2016 in Fleetbank House at 11am.

 

SGSA Secretariat

February 2016

Signed:

Date: 12 April 2016